Thursday 2 August 2012

A Few Days Away

I've just done something very dramatic.  I spent six days away from the children.

Wow.

I haven't been away from them for more than 2 nights since my eldest was born a dozen years ago.

After an advocate for the child sponsor charity called Compassion UK (with whom I sponsor a boy from Uganda) had pulled out from a major Christian youth festival called Soul Survivor, I volunteered to join the team on their stand and promote this worthwhile cause.

In the meantime, I learned to camp.  I learned to take sponge baths in the tent instead of queue up for the showers. I learned to knock the slugs off my wellie-boots before slipping them on in the mornings. I enjoyed some of the most awesome charismatic ministry and worship, some thought-provoking seminars, and endured some food that started off tasting pretty good, but by the end of the week, I couldn't face anymore Thai curry and finished up by eating a lot of granola cereal.

When I finally came home today, I couldn't believe how much older the children seemed, especially my five-year-old.

They still devoured the 2-dozen Krispie Kreams I brought home from the motorway service station and complained that the raspberry glaze had melted off in the hot trunk of the car.

Still, it's good to be home.

1 comment:

  1. Well done my friend I am very proud of you. It is a good experience to be away from your children to have time and space to recharge those drained batteries and I am so pleased that you decided to camp after always telling me that it was something you would never do!
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha thinkin'? Don't be shy if you've got something to say!